Speak Ma’at, do Ma’at for She is mighty. She is great and endures, Her value rests in the hands of those who use Her. Ma’at leads one to sacredness. ~ Papyrus of the Eloquent Peasant
Solemn Lady of Balance, Goddess of Cosmic Order, Daughter of Ra, Presider over the Palace, Ruler of the Gods, Giver of Myriads of Years – the Egyptian Goddess Ma’at. This ancient Egyptian Goddess embodies and encompasses the concepts of truth, justice, order, law, and morality.
She measures and draws the lines that Ra follows each day, providing the framework for the the Cosmos, the Gods, and humanity.
At death, She is Goddess who looks into our hearts and our lives with Her all-seeing eye and weighs our hearts against Her feather. The scales represent Maat in the weighing of the heart. Those who were found to have “heavy” hearts, were fed to the Goddess Ammit – Eater of Hearts. Those who had hearts that balanced with Ma’at’s feather were given peaceful passage to the Underworld.
As the Guardian of Truth and Justice in the Universe, there is no aspect of life or death that Ma’at does not influence. Even the Gods were nourished by Ma’at to maintain Her cosmic order. Viziers and Chief Justices of Ancient Egypt were sometimes referred to as “Prophets of Ma’at”, perhaps a way to ensure balanced social justice under Her firm guidance for Her people.
Ma’at is depicted with a single white ostrich feather on Her head. Ostrich is known for its far-seeing and keen vision. This is also the feather that is weighed against the human heart at the time of death. She carries a sceptre in one hand and the life symbol, Ankh, in the other.
The path of Truth is timeless and this ancient Goddess provides us guidance and nourishment to walk Her path.
Would your heart weight lightly? Here are the 42 Negative Confessions of Ma’at (as translated by Budge) …
The 42 Divine Principles of Ma’at in Budge’s native English follows:
- I have not committed sin.
- I have not committed robbery with violence.
- I have not stolen.
- I have not slain men or women.
- I have not stolen food.
- I have not swindled offerings.
- I have not stolen from God/Goddess.
- I have not told lies.
- I have not carried away food.
- I have not cursed.
- I have not closed my ears to truth.
- I have not committed adultery.
- I have not made anyone cry.
- I have not felt sorrow without reason.
- I have not assaulted anyone.
- I am not deceitful.
- I have not stolen anyone’s land.
- I have not been an eavesdropper.
- I have not falsely accused anyone.
- I have not been angry without reason.
- I have not seduced anyone’s wife.
- I have not polluted myself.
- I have not terrorized anyone.
- I have not disobeyed the Law.
- I have not been exclusively angry.
- I have not cursed God/Goddess.
- I have not behaved with violence.
- I have not caused disruption of peace.
- I have not acted hastily or without thought.
- I have not overstepped my boundaries of concern.
- I have not exaggerated my words when speaking.
- I have not worked evil.
- I have not used evil thoughts, words or deeds.
- I have not polluted the water.
- I have not spoken angrily or arrogantly.
- I have not cursed anyone in thought, word or deeds.
- I have not placed myself on a pedestal.
- I have not stolen what belongs to God/Goddess.
- I have not stolen from or disrespected the deceased.
- I have not taken food from a child.
- I have not acted with insolence.
- I have not destroyed property belonging to God/Goddess
We appeal to Ma’at to restore proper order to our minds, our hearts, our lives.
Invite the sweetness of Ma’at into your life with an offering of honey and eggs while greeting the dawn and the rise of the sun!
Resources for Maat:
Creation, Ma’at, and Evolving States of Consciousness by Normandi Ellis
Goddess Maat statues and jewelry from Goddess Gifts
GODDESS VENDORS WE LOVE!
- DaughtersOfIsis.com with Gwen Barry – Magical Essential Oil Blends & Incense
- GailJessenDesigns.com with Gail Jessen – Sacred Jewelry Design
- MurphysEssentials.com with Kim Murphy – Healing & Magical Essential Oil Blends & CBD
- Red Priestess with Brandi Auset – Goddess Sprays and Crystals
- SacredWell.com with Yeshe Matthews – Crystal and Treasure Shop
MOTHERHOUSE GODDESS TEMPLE – Goddess Calendar & Free Community Events
© 2020 – 2021 Kimberly F. Moore – MotherHouse of the Goddess. All rights reserved. No part of this course may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author, except in the case of brief, cited quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law. For permission requests, please contact us.