Summer Solstice is the longest day and shortest night of the year and occurs around June 21 in the Northern Hemisphere.
Goddess is LIGHT and FIRE now. As the summer fruits and flowers continue to bloom, Goddess invites us into Her creation-phase, to participate with laughter, love, and celebration. She stokes the fires to bring imagination into form; evoking growth and light for the seeds of our deepest desires. Luminous, effulgent, and in Her power, Goddess is genesis and reminds us that we too are Creatrix in Her image.
Summer is about Manifestation.
Throughout summer, Goddess continues to ripen, reveal Herself magnificently in the harvests of summer; Her physical promise of nourishment for us during the fallow season. The summer heat seeps into our bones and kindles our souls. The bees sing the mantras of the Great Mother and fertility. We play on the shores of the Mother of Oceans, Rivers and Lakes and bathe ourselves in Her sacred waters.
Goddess’ ambrosial table is ready for feasting and we give thanks for Her harvest that sustains and represents life at the height of providence.
Don’t forget to subscribe to MotherRoot – our free monthly newsletter with special seasonal editions!
Wishing you all the blessings of Summer!
Founder and Priestess for MotherHouse and Mystery School of the Goddess
Celebrate the Goddess Wheel of the Year with us!
You are invited to join in the celebration of the Rhythms of Goddess, to acknowledge and sync with Goddess on Her Holy Days and to bring forward the ancient magick to us here and now.
Summer is the time of year when we play and revel in the magnificent abundance of Gaia. We tend to our solar selves and soak up the life-giving rays of the sun. Energy is lighter, more playful, and encourages adventure. Tap into the magic of summer!
Ways to Welcome the Magic of Summer
- Look at signs and symbols of summer below and create an altar just for summer.
- Choose a summer Goddess and create a seasonal practice for her.
- Bathe in sacred waters – the ocean, lakes, rivers – and take an offering for Goddess to leave.
- Create a solar practice that follows the track of the sun – greet the morning, make an offering at noon, meditate at sunset.
- Earthing connects your bare skin to Gaia to absorb her healing vibrations – do it often!
- Take long walks in Nature and collect items for your summer altar.
- Create a Nature Mandala – use all natural and organic items, such as seeds, flowers, sticks, and stones, and food for the animals. Offer it up to Goddess in ceremony.
- Adorn a Wishing Tree – write wishes and prayers on ribbons to tie on a special tree. Make sure the ribbons are loose enough for the tree branches to grow!
- Start a new practice or area of study – Mystery School of the Goddess has inspirational offerings!
- Create a Red Tent and have a party for all the women that you know.
- Walk a labyrinth to embrace the cyclical nature of Goddess and the Seasonal Soul – contemplate the lessons of Spring and how you are being called to integrate those lessons into the abundance of Summer.
- Lay in the sun and absorb the life-giving rays (with sunscreen!).
- Gather the bounty of summer veggies and fruits for a Goddess Feast.
- Spread LOVE – summer is a wonderful season to romance yourself, your partner, and your friends.
- Visit parks and botanical gardens and dance with the butterflies.
- Weave summer flower garlands for your Summer Solstice celebration.
Signs and Symbols of Summer
Archetype: Mother, Enchantress, Creation Woman
Goddesses of Sun and Summer: Aestas, Aine, Amaterasu, Amazons, Anahita, Aphrodite, Asherah, Aurora, Bast, Bendis, Brigid, Ceres, Corn Woman, Cybele, Danu, Demeter, Devi, Diana, Erzulie, Eurynome, Fortuna, Freya, Gaia, Hathor, Hemera, Hestia, Inanna, Ishtar, Isis, Ix Chel, Mami Wata, Mary Magdalene, Mawu, Mut, Nepthys, Oshun, Parvati, Pele, Radha, Red Tara, Saraswati, Sekhmet, Shakti, Shekhinah, Sita, Venus, Vesta, Yemaya
Summer Themes: Creation, Manifestation, Community, Family, Sexuality, Sacred Marriage, Light, Golden, Ripening, Bounty
Time of Day: High Noon
Astrological Signs: Cancer, Leo, Virgo
Colors: bright, primary colors of the rainbow
Flowers: Amaranthus. Aster, Brown-Eyed Susan, Chrysanthemum, Cockscomb, Daisy, Dahlia, Daylilies, Freesia, Gladiolus, Heather, Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, Hydrangea, Iris, Impatiens, Lilacs, Morning Glories, Marigolds, Pansies, Petunias, Roses, Sunflowers, Sweetpeas, Yarrow, Zinnias
Animal Guides: Alligator, Bee, Blackbird, Butterfly, Coyote, Dolphin, Dragonfly, Eagle, Hawk, Horse, Hummingbird, Lion, Otter, Parrot, Raccoon, Skunk, Swallow, Turtle, Whale, Woodpecker
Crystals & Gemstones: Amazonite, Aura Quartz, Carnelian, Chrysoprase, Clear Quartz, Coral, Gold Obsidian, Goldstone, Gold Quartz, Green Moss Agate, Green Tourmaline, Honey Calcite, Orange Aura Quartz, Peridot, Rose Quartz, Rutilated Quartz, Sunstone, Topaz, Tree Agate, Turquoise, Yellow Calcite, Yellow Obsidian
Spirit Guides and Allies: Salamanders, Fairies, Angels
Adorning Altars: Summer Flowers, Organic Mandalas, solar symbols, fire symbols, candles, grains, summer fruits and vegetables
Resources for Summer Supplies
Online Courses on Mystery School of the Goddess for new and seasonal practices
Seasonal Reading & References
O Mother Sun by Patricia Monaghan
The Goddess Guide by Brandi Auset
Carnival of the Spirit – Seasonal Celebrations by Luisah Teish
The Grandmother of Time by Z. Budapest
Rituals of Celebration by Jane Meredith
Speaking with Nature by Sandra Ingerman
Living Sacred Ceremony by Natalia Karoway