Shakti is the Goddess that most perfectly mirrors my world view – that of a Universe that was formed and is powered by the Divine Feminine. She is nurturing, loving, radical, revolutionary, destructive, courageous, compassionate and empowering. She invites us to awaken to our True Selves and provides multiple pathways to Her Sacred Source from which we can draw strength and renew our passion and energy. Answering the call of Shakti is to commit to awaken the transformative energy of our Divine Powers that She has placed within us.
Shakti the Goddess is Force, Power, Energy, Active, Dynamic, Feminine, God, Mother, Devi, Sacred, Protector, Punisher, Curer, Creation, Source, Good, Balance, Universal, Preserver, Divine, Desire, Kundalini, Complete, Embodiment, Supreme, One without a second, Manifest, Unmanifest, Daughter, Transcendent, the Ultimate Reality, the Power Pole of the Divine, Cosmic, Great, Life-Giving, Awakener, Grace-Bestowing, the Descent of the Holy Spirit, Light Immersion, Expression, the Dissolver, Vital, Pure, Absolute, Primordial, the Transformer, Heat, Light, Real Wisdom, Genesis, the Animator, Mantra, Essential, Wife, Queen, Destroyer, the Void, Most Glorious….Shakti is ALL.
The “outer” Shakti is always looking for an opportunity to unite with our “inner” Shakti that sits coiled and full of potential at the base of our spines. As we meditate, chant mantras, practice yoga and undertake activities that expand our spiritual capacity, the capacity for SHAKTI increases as well.
Shakti manifests in many faces of Hindu Goddesses that you are probably familiar with like Lakshmi, Durga, Parvati, Sita, Lalita, Rada and Kali (to name only a few!). Connection with these Goddesses is direct connection with Shakti Energy and the primal Divine Mother source.
In our Goddess Moon Meditation Goddess Alive Radio Show, I spoke at length about the manifestations of Shakti and Her embodiment in different faces of the Goddess – I invite you to listen to the archive here and use the meditation:
When I moved into my new apartment at Thanksgiving time, my huge wall hanging of the Goddess Shakti (see below) and Her fabulous many-armed presence was the first item in the new place. I marvel a bit at how integral Shakti has become as a Goddess energy in my life over the years. Upon reflection, I believe that the increased use of mantra practice over the past ten or more years was one of the precursors and invitations to Shakti to manifest more fully in my life.
Pairing mantra practice with meditation has been an extremely effective tool for me and a way that I can enjoy the space of meditation without my busy brain consistently interfering. The mantra gives my busy brain something to focus on and allows for an immediate and powerful connection and communion with the Universal current. This Universal current is Shakti as the Universal Life Force and Animator of the Universe. She is the power behind all that is. Jai MA Shakti – I wish you many blessings on your journey. I have listed resources for Shakti below.
Pathways to Shakti and Activation of Shakti Energy:
- Practices that enhance your “inner” Shakti and union with the “outer” Shakti: chanting mantras, yoga, tantra, ecstatic dance, music, Kundalini meditations, direct transmission from a Teacher or Guru of Shakti energy.
- Breathing Shakti in nature – take some time to be in a wild, natural place. Notice the auras of the trees, plants, the Earth – this is Shakti. Breathe with Her.
- Prayer – devotion and prayer meditation are beautiful ways to connect with the “inner” and “outer” Shakti.
- Sanskrit Mantras – Paramahansa Yogananda made the statement: “Call to Divine Mother, because the Mother is nearer than the Father.” I cannot emphasize enough the positive impact that mantra practice has made on my life and my connection to Shakti.
- Puja and devotional ritual.
- Study with a teacher that is embodying Shakti – two of my recommendations are Sally Kempton and Yogini Shambhavi Shakti Dharma.
- INVITE SHAKTI INTO YOUR LIFE – Shakti is the Mother that never turns Her face from us. Talk to Her. Invoke Her. Pray to Her. She is everywhere!
Check out my current courses online – I have several Shakti-focused courses!
Books to learn more about Shakti:
- Yogini – Unfolding the Goddess Within by Shambhavi L. Chopra
- Yogic Secrets of the Dark Goddess by Shambhavi L. Chopra
- Awakening Shakti – the Transformative Power of the Goddesses of Yoga by Sally Kempton
- Shakti Mantras – Tapping into the Great Goddess Energy Within by Thomas Ashley-Farrand
- Tantric Yoga and the Wisdom Goddesses by Dr. David Frawley
- Shakti – Realm of the Divine Mother by Vanamali
Books and CD’s for Mantra Practice:
- Yogini Bhava Shakti Mantras: Invoke the Divine Within by Yogini Shambhavi
- Jyotir Bhava: Sacred Shakti Mantras for the Nine Planets by Yogini Shambhavi
- Shakti Meditations: Guided Practices to Invoke the Goddesses of Yoga by Sally Kempton
- Healing Mantras: Using Sound Affirmations for Personal Power, Creativity, and Healing by Thomas Ashley-Farrand
One of my favorite ENERGIZING Shakti Mantras is Adi Shakti by Mantra Girl (translation listed below the video):
Adi Shakti, Adi Shakti, Adi Shakti, Namo Namo
(I bow to the Primal Power)
Sarb Shakti, Sarb Shakti, Sarb Shakti, Namo Namo
(I bow to the all encompassing Power and Energy)
Pritham Bhagvati, Pritham Bhagvati, Pritham Bhagvati, Namo Namo
(I bow to that which God creates)
Kundalini Mata Shakti, Mata Shakti, Namo Namo
(I bow to the creative power of the Kundalini, the Divine Mother Power)
My Shakti Altar:
MotherHouse of the Goddess and MotherHouse Goddess Temple are honored to serve Goddess in all of Her aspects and provide community for devotees worldwide. Bringing Goddess to our world has never been more important. Thank you for being here and you are invited to join our free Goddess Temple events!
MotherHouse Goddess Temple is a devotional community and a living altar to Goddess in all of Her emanations. Through ritual, myth, magick, and sacred inspiration, we offer sanctuary for those seeking transformation through the Divine Feminine.
Our Patreon Page is a way to support MotherHouse Goddess Temple monthly and join our Goddess circles