Food is business and pleasure for me. My professional site is The Hungry Goddess and part of my foodie social media business is working with food brands and creating recipes. It doesn’t get much better than that! For Fall, the foods make a shift that I adore. Give me those gourds and comfort foods that mark the beginning of the cooler season.
In a nod to Fall and the Autumn Equinox, this is a recipe I created especially for the season. I love combining quinoa (SUPER FOOD!) and black rice for the colors as well as the texture and flavor. Butternut squash and pumpkin seeds bring in some fall ingredients to please your palate.
This is a fantastic dish to prepare for a potluck gathering or serve for guests and is delicious warm or cold.
HAPPY FALL and ENJOY!
- ½ cup short-grain black rice (from Whole Foods – I use the 365 brand)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (I use pre-rinsed regular quinoa from Costco)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt plus more
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided (EVOO)
- 3 cups butternut squash diced
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (shelled & roasted & salted)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅔ cup EVOO
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 TB pure maple syrup
- 1 TB Dijon mustard (I use country dijon)
- ¼ tsp kosher salt (for the dressing)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Prepare rice and quinoa per directions on each package in separate pots.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced butternut squash, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Mix quinoa and rice & allow to slightly cool.
- Mix dressing ingredients and stir into quinoa and rice mixture.
- Add butternut squash and cranberries and toss.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in pumpkin seeds.
- Serve and Enjoy!